Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Russian Orthodox Church in Addis Abeba Under Construction

Preparations are well underway for the construction of a representation of the Moscow Patriarchate in Addis Abeba, Ethiopia, to provide a Byzantine Rite church for the Orthodox faithful in the city. A cross is to be planted at the construction site latter this month, whilst the new church's dome is already being made in Russia. The church is to be dedicated to St. George. More here.

I cannot help saying how excited I am that the Russians are building a church in Addis! Metropolitan Petros (Giakoumelos) of Axum of the Alexandrian Orthodox Church is a lovely man from what I know of him, but a prominent clergyman at his cathedral in Addis has in the past made racist remarks about non-whites to Orthodox clergy and laity, including a clergyman who is not himself white.

I stopped attending the Alexandrian Orthodox cathedral because of the above and other issues the last time I was in Ethiopia and so I am so excited by the possibility that the next time I visit Addis I will have a church to worship in the Byzantine Rite at without my conscience burning every time I set foot in the place. Glory to God for all things!

No comments:

Post a Comment