Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

St. Seraphim of Sarov

Joyous feast! С праздником! I remember planning a pilgrimage to the Diveyevo Monastery while I was studying in Nizhniy Novgorod out of a sense of duty. I had prayed to St. Seraphim for years and suddenly I was living a bus trip away from his relics, so of course I had to go venerate them. The Monastery was beautiful, the abundance of relics of the various righteous from the Monastery impressive, and the fervor of the other pilgrims impressive.

But what really struck me was St. Seraphim himself. I walked into Holy Trinity Cathedral (where his relics rest) with a divided and troubled heart, having not really prayed for days (possibly weeks) and not expecting anything particularly noteworthy, and was suddenly hit by a wave of peace and...presence. St. Seraphim was there. I wasn't even sure where his relics were for a moment, but I knew he was there.

I struggle and I doubt, but I cannot doubt the realness of Orthodoxy. It has its problems and its failings, but I've experienced the joy of Pascha and felt it in the living presence of a monk who died 178 years ago. How can I not believe? I hope and pray that St. Seraphim's blessings, and most especially his joy and his peace, are with you today.

More on St. Seraphim's life can be found here.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your beautiful experience with St. Seraphim, my patron saint. I often doubt and struggle. I have children who have grown or run away from the church. Our little parish has many struggles to survive. In spite of all this, I can say along with you that "I cannot doubt the realness of Orthodoxy".

    ReplyDelete