Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Episcopal Assembly of the British Isles Meets in Hatfield

The third session of the Episcopal Assembly of the British Isles has taken place in the English town of Hatfield near London. During the session the gathered hierarchs concelebrated the festal Divine Liturgy for the new style observance of the Synaxis of the Holy Apostles and established a commission under the chairmanship of Archbishop Elisey (Ganaba) of Sourozh to make recommendations on a uniform approach to mixed marriages as well as the observance of confession and communion by the members of the Orthodox Churches in Great Britain and Ireland. More (in Russian) here.

4 comments:

  1. Has anyone told Archbishop Elishey and the Moscow Patriarchate that in the British Isles almost everyone speaks English and very few people understand Russian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the issue you're trying to get to? As much as I would love to, I haven't lived in the UK yet ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The final words "More (in Russian) here" puzzle me. Why should the full press release from this Episcopal Assembly not have been produced in English?

    I shall also make the point that the Assembly is not comprehensive and there is at least one significant group of canonical Orthodox who have no representation on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's purely my bad. The first truly helpful information I personally could find on the Episcopal Assembly's session was in Russian. I'm sure there was an English-language release somewhere, but I don't keep as close track of happenings in Orthodox Britain as I do in Eastern Europe and North America.

    Do you speak of the Orthodox Churches that reject Chalcedon or of a pro-Chalcedon jurisdiction that's not represented?

    ReplyDelete